Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Tomorrow isn't promised

No one can confidently say that he will still be living tomorrow. ~Euripides

Sometime in my early 20s, I realized that tomorrow is not promised to anyone. Although there was still a part of me that thought myself invincible. Every year that passes the truth, once spoken by Euripides, becomes more real to me. So many people I have known have been taken prematurely in death. Four people in the last four years before they reached the age of forty...

Death may be the greatest of all human blessings. ~Socrates Apology

Because it's taken out of context, I am not sure that I am intepreting Socrates as intended but there are only two blessings I can think of that can come from death. One would be the end of suffering. The other would be an awakening for those who are left behind.

Before I received the news that another friend of mine died this week, I had spent a lot of time reflecting on my life and the person I have been, trying to decide what legacy I want to leave this world. It is important to me to be the person that I present myself to be: honest, loyal, caring and concerned, loving and faithful, sincere, hopeful, determined, encouraging, etc. And there have been moments in my life when I have not lived up to that list.

As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well used brings happy death.
~Leonardo da Vinci

So I have decided to try to right some wrongs I have committed in the last six months. But I realize that righting wrongs is not enough. I have decided to move forward, living life with NO REGRETS, living carefully and considerately, making sure that the people I love always know that I love them and leaving a legacy of kindness and friendship, if nothing else.

I want to spend my days well because I don't know which day will be my last. And I want to live my life well so that in my death, my life will be celebrated.

No comments: