Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Power of YET

The word "YET" commands power. "Yet" is an adverb that has a few meanings, the most powerful of which is EVENTUALLY.

The power of the word "yet" gets lost in conversation. It's three letters take up very little space and it's utterance requires the slightest breath and nearly no effort. It falls from one's lips gently and almost softly. So we fail to recognize the significance of "yet." We neglect to acknowledge the mastery and control of "yet" and the grip it can have on one's feelings or thoughts.

Let me demonstrate. Read the following sentences and compare them. In these sentences, the definition of "yet" is "eventually."

I have not slept with all of your friends.
I have not slept with all of your friends yet.*

I do not want to marry you.
I do not want to marry you yet.

I have not gone to the grocery store.
I have not gone to the grocery store yet.

We haven't cut off your electric.
We haven't cut off your electric yet.

And my favorite...
I have not castrated the man.
I have not castrated the man yet.

Feel the power of the "yet?"

In each of the examples "yet" tells of something that is to come, something that will happen eventually. It implies a promise or a threat and sometimes, gives hope for something that will one day be fulfilled.

"Yet." Small but mighty, all-powerful... YET.

*This example was generously donated by a good friend who is a loyal reader of this blog and a lover of all things bunny.

No comments: