Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Music of Your Soul

"Music isn't just learning notes and playing them, You learn notes to play to the music of your soul." ~Katie Greenwood

When I was 10 years old, I walked up to the front of the church, before my entire school, and asked if I could sing. While I felt the music within me from my earliest memory, that day I was given the opportunity to release it into the atmosphere and share it with the rest of the universe. And my musical education started that day. I began to learn how to string together the notes of my life and sing the songs of my soul.

Although my life did not take a uniquely musical route, there has been a soundtrack playing in my head for 37 years. The music is with me always, impacting my every day life.

I am constantly amazed by the musical talent of others and by their ability to pull from the universe the ideas and thoughts and dreams of the rest of us to unite us through song. They remind us that our feelings are not merely our feelings but that we share them with so many others. And that while we may feel lonely or broken or sad, it is a universal loneliness and brokenness. We are never alone in any moment of our lives. Some will say we are not alone because we have God and I believe that. But I also believe that we are never alone because we have music.

Music is a common thread in the fabric of our world. Language, culture, interests may divide us... We may be separated by land or sea... Our politics or religion may cause strife among us... But everyone loves music in the depths of their soul.

In times of joy and great happiness... In times of pain and sorrow... Everyday and every night... Take some time to listen to your life. Hear your soundtrack. Listen to the music of your soul.

No comments: