Sunday, March 16, 2008

Goodness

I've always given mankind the benefit of the doubt. I have a friend who believes that people are not born good but they must learn to be good. I believe the opposite. I believe we are all born good. There is a goodness deep within each of us and it is up to us to discover the goodness, grow that goodness and share it with those around us.

I believe in the goodness of others. And for years, I have believed in the ability of others to recognize goodness as well.

The laws of karma say that your deeds dictate your experiences. While, my motivation for sharing my goodness with the people I encounter on a daily basis is not merely to gain better life experiences, there's a small part of me that silently hopes that others will see it, appreciate it and return some kindness my way.

There are days when I wonder when the returns will start to come in. I know it is selfish. But I wonder. I'd be lying if I said otherwise. I wonder when my time will come. I wonder when it will be my turn to experience the goodness.

There are other laws that say that if you are ready for anything, anything can happen and that in order to receive good things in life, you must be ready for them.

I'm ready. I'm ready for some goodness. But I'm going to guess that it will come when it's time, and not just because I think I'm ready.

No comments: