Monday, January 26, 2015

Dear Sister, Your 40 and My 40 Might Be Different

33 days... woah.

Dear sister,

In 33 days, you will turn 40 years old and I have a confession to make. I don't really know that I know that much about living in the 40 decade even though I have done it for roughly three years at this point. And truthfully married, mom 40 is so intensely different that single, no kids 40.

If you were single and childless like me, I would be writing blogs giving you advice about online dating after 40, single sex after 40, how to get pregnant (or not) after 40. I would be posting long lists of meat market hangouts in town where you could find single men and the tastiest beverages. I would offer suggestions for hobbies or activities in which you could engage that would help you broaden your social circle. I would be sending you links to great places around the world for solo travel.

In many ways, turning 40 is the same for everyone. There is that "is this middle age" or "is this the top of the hill" kind of feeling. And there is the "oh my god, I can't believe I am already 40" thought which is fairly common. But in many ways your 40 and my 40 might be different.

And that's ok. In fact it's awesome. It's what makes the world go around.

Love you, Sister!


No comments: