Monday, February 19, 2018

Ten Blogs 'til 47: I'm with the Band

Bounding into the kitchen, I interrupted my mom's chores to announce that I would one day be a famous singer. Mom continued washing the dishes and kindly dismissed me. I was six.

I went to college to be a music major. I was too fat to be a part of the musical theater program. They wanted me to do opera. I quit to become a sports writer. I was 18.

In 2001, I lost 64 pounds and decided I might try to revive my dying dream of singing for a living. That year, I sang the national anthem for the first time for the St. Louis Blues. I would become a regular, singing up to 22 games per season at my peak. It would launch an anthem singing career across the country and open the door for me to sing for no only the NHL but also the NFL, MLB, NASCAR, and many, many more organizations. I was 30.

In ten days, I will be 47. I realize my star power has faded and my opportunity has passed but I would still drop everything to tour and sing back up for some folks. This leads to yet another mid-life crisis question: if you could sing backup for anyone, who would it be? How about a top ten list?

10. Pink
9. John Legend
8. Kelly Clarkson
7. Sam Smith
6. Luke Bryan
5. Chris Stapleton
4. Janet Jackson
3. Almost any gospel artist on the charts
2. Justin Timberlake
1. Bruno Mars

No comments: