Thursday, December 13, 2007

Why?

The average four-year-old asks 437 questions per day. 437. There are no statistics to show how many of those questions go unanswered every day but I am going to guess it's a fair number of them.

I have been asking the same question for years and I don't seem to get an answer. Ever. My question is WHY? I probably ask it roughly 30 times a day about different things. And I never get an answer. I get a story or an analogy or a line that sidetracks me from my original question. But I never get an answer.

Sometimes, I ask why about the same thing over and over and over. Still... no answer. I have asked many people the same question. Neither race nor creed nor shoe size affects the exchange. I ask why. There's no clear cut answer. It's a conversation. Or at the very least 3 or 4 sentences that don't tell me anything.

I've asked God why. People tell me that if you are quiet long enough and find that peaceful space, you might hear His answer. I can't hear Him. I have been trying for years to find a moment of peace that lasts long enough for me to hear God tell me why. I can't find it and I can't hear Him. But I am going to try not to pray for that peaceful place because with my luck, I'll end up dead. I prayed for patience once and I am STILL waiting.

Maybe there is no answer to the question, "why?" There are definitely answers to who, where, what and how. But maybe "why" is too subjective.

I know for sure that the answer is not "because" or "it just is." people have attempted to placate me with answers like that and I only end up asking "why" again... only louder.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a History teacher as a Freshman in High School who continually told the story that a final Philosophy exam given him (or someone?) in college consisted of the single word: WHY? And the only person that aced the test answered it with the single word: BECAUSE.