Sunday, July 08, 2007

Taxi!

Hailing a taxi, in many cities across the country, is second nature for people. For many, it is their primary mode of transportation. But in midwestern cities like St. Louis, taxicabs are not always readily available.


As a child, I rode with my mom in a taxi a few times. But she would have to call the cab company and set up an appointment for them to pick her up. And then, on the way home, she would have to do the same. She couldn't just step off the curb and wave her arm.


There has been a lot of controversy in St. Louis over the last couple of months regarding drinking and driving. Some very vocal people have stepped up and said they don't understand what the big deal is. People, they say, should just take a taxi.


Well then, we should make it easy for them to take a taxi. It shouldn't cost me almost $40 to get a ride to my house IN THE CITY from a downtown bar. And I shouldn't have to walk 2 or 3 or 4 blocks to find one.
We also need to assure people that leaving their cars at a bar or a party when they go home is OK. I don't know how we erase the stigma of leaving the car you brought with you and taking a cab when you leave but we have to find a way. People leave the firends that they came with to hook up with strangers all the time so one would think this would be a relatively easy task. But I understand it... a little. Two friends of mine have had cars stolen from the parking lot right across the street from our favorite hangout. And, as my loyal readers will recall, some idiot TRIED to steal my car twice.
In the end, I guess cab companies can gouge you at the meter because getting a safe ride home, no matter the cost, is better than being dead. And your life should be worth more than your car, so leaving it behind should be worth the risk.


That said, it would be nice to find a safe and secure and relatively cost-effective way to save lives.


Last night, I drank too much. It's not the first time and it won't be the last. I left my car behind and took a taxi home. When I woke up this morning, I was thankful to be alive. And, I'm only a LITTLE worried about my car.

No comments: