Thursday, November 23, 2006

Be Good at It

Whatever you choose to do in life, I believe that you should strive to do it well. And I believe that we, the people, have the right to expect others to be good at whatever it is that they are doing.

When you go to the doctor, you expect that your physician will know how to heal your every ailment. When you take your car to the shop, your expectation is that when the vehicle is returned to your possession, it will not only get you where you need to go but it will live up to its greatest potential. Dry cleaners should be proficient in dry cleaning, restaurant servers should serve and plumbers should plumb… or fix the pipes, if you will.

And so I submit that the expectation we hold to those in positions of authority, in careers that are seemingly important and in roles that make our daily lives either better or more bearable should be held to everyone. I submit that we should expect people to be good at WHATEVER it is that they choose to do.

Over the last few months, neighborhood thieves attempted to steal my Jeep twice. Both times, they were unsuccessful. Whatever they learned from the first attempt did them no good. They were unable to apply those learnings in order to successfully make off with my car the second time. Their incompetence overwhelmed and infuriated me. I mean really… OPPORTUNITY KNOCKED TWICE for these idiots which almost NEVER happens for the people with good intentions, and they missed it both times. If you are going to be a car thief, be a good car thief. Don't be half-assed about it. Know your target and take it. Stop leaving it in front of my house with $1700 worth of damage.

Now I am not advocating stealing cars as a career choice. I'm just saying… Whatever you choose to do in life, be good at it.

No comments: