Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Tip Jar

I am putting a tip jar on my desk. I have decided that to reward me for doing my job, others should drop loose change in it. My paycheck is not reward enough.

Rather than saying thank you, or giving me a pat on the back, I will just take the CASH VALUE. What do you think the cash value of the phrase “great job” might be? A quarter? A couple of dimes and a stray penny, perhaps?

Spare coins can add up. After a week or so, I may be able to buy a soda or spring for lunch in the cafeteria. This tip jar is going to be great.

I must admit this is not my own idea. I pilfered it from any number of tip jar entrepreneurs that are sprouting up around the country. There are tip jars everywhere. Coffeehouses, smoothie places, that little spot on the corner where you can pick up a slice of pizza… even Subway. If it is appropriate to have tip jars there, then why not in my office on my desk?

Tipping experts insist that tipping in the afore-mentioned situations is not only unnecessary but it is ridiculous. Many tip guides offer advice on when tipping is appropriate:

· Restaurant service… where you sit down and they bring you your dinner, refill your beverages, replace the fork you dropped and clean up after you… deserves tipping.
· A great haircut is worthy of a tip.
· Tipping the bellman who carries your luggage to your hotel room is altogether appropriate.

But in a day and age when nobody seems to be paid enough for the contribution they are making to the world or just to your day, I don’t want to get lost in the shuffle.

I am putting a tip jar on my desk. (I’ll let you know how it goes.)

No comments: