Monday, January 26, 2009

That's Some Weather Huh?

I don't want to be the person that talks about the weather with strangers in the elevator. I refuse to believe that talk about the snow or the heat or the third day of rain in a row is all the talk we can muster. I also don't want to be the person to bring up the new president or the old president or the war in Iraq because in spite of the open book policy I have on my life, I still think those are topics best had with people you know well.

On the flip side, I don't want to be the person staring at the numbers, impatiently waiting for my floor to light up and for the doors to open. I don't want to stand with my back to the rest of the crowd or lean on the opposite wall, taking up as little space as is possible for this big ol' body so I don't accidentally enter the personal space of the only other person in there. I don't want to wait uncomfortably in the back of an elevator that is packed full of strangers either. If you are going to graze my arm multiple times, we should have something to say to one another, I think.

So what is appropriate elevator behavior? Perhaps for some a half smile is enough sharing with a stranger. Maybe a nod of acknowledgement suffices. And even those gestures are better than completely ignoring those around you.

You'd think after all these years, someone would have written a handbook or a guide or something. Hmmm... do I smell an idea brewing? Perhaps... or maybe it's just this crazy weather getting to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

www.ElevatorRules.com