Sunday, May 07, 2006

Walking in the Sun

Every day, I have a bit of a walk from my car to the building in which I work. Along the route, I face a choice nearly every morning: a walk under the covered walkway or a trip through the parking lot in the sun. Most days, I opt for a little sunshine. As I step off the curb and onto the asphalt, the sun touches my face and, even on the coldest days, warms me to the core. Literally and figuratively, it brightens my day.

Daily, we make decisions that seem bigger and more important than whether or not we will walk in the sun. But this simple exercise has been a life-changing lesson for me. In every situation, every crisis, every trying moment, I have a choice to make. In the face of every fear, in conflict and in worry, I have a choice to make. On the days when I wake up on the wrong side of the bed, I have a choice to make.

And most days, I choose to keep walking in the sun.

No comments: