Monday, February 20, 2012

Being 40: I'm a Mom

Many people do not subscribe to the idea that pets are members of the family. I am not one of those people.  Yesterday, I became a dog mom. I had hoped to be a mom before my 40th year ended and, although I didn't anticipate I would achieve that by adopting a dog, I consider the mission accomplished.

The adorable Labrador Retriever/Beagle mixed pup has a shiny, silky black coat and beautiful brown eyes. Adopting her gained me a membership in an exclusive club. It's called The Black Dog Club. The following is taken from the information I received about the Black Dog Club. If you are considering adopting, be sure to keep your eyes peeled for all of the black dogs awaiting adoption.

"Did you know that black dogs are often overlooked at animal shelters?

Most animal shelters find it difficult to place large black dogs into forever homes. Black dogs, especially large ones like Labrador Retriever mixes are overlooked in favor of lighter colored dogs.

Some shelter staff think black dogs are more difficult to see insider their kennels making it hard to connect with the dog. Others think it's hard to see facial features on black dogs and therefore hard to gauge their emotions.

There is absolutely no evidence that color has any bearing on temperament, behavior, or health, regardless of breed."

No comments: