Friday, April 25, 2008

Kinzie


Last night, I lost another friend. This one was of the pet persuasion. We picked up Kinzie from the Humane Society just over 16 years ago when she fit in my palms. She was a tiny brown ball of fur that scampered under the couch any time a man in a hat entered the room. 

Kinzie wasn't the most obedient dog but that was her owners' fault. We didn't really train her. By nature, she was very protective and didn't like it when anyone hugged me.  Her fierce growl scared a lot of people. She did tricks. She shook with both paws and barked on command and danced in circles for her Purina treats.

Over the last few weeks, Kinzie's hip dysplasia and her arthritis got the best of her, making it difficult for her to walk. She'd walk in circles at night and cry because laying down was too painful. The night before last, she wouldn't take her pain medicine. So, I picked her up and let her sleep on my bed one last time. When I got home from work last night, she was gone. I just wish I'd have had the chance to say one more time, "Good girl, Kinz! Good girl!

My year of loss continues...

3 comments:

Janet said...

That is a beautiful photo. Ever since I heard this news I have been trying to think of a way to express my grief for your loss. It's really indescribable. I imagine losing Lucy and I'm washed over with sadness. Kinzie sounds like an amazing pup who put in a long and full life. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Annie said...

I'm sorry, Michele. I wish there was something I could say to make it easier, but having been there before, I know there isn't. But... I'm thinking about you!

Michele said...

Thank you, girls. I appreciate it!