Sunday, April 28, 2013

42 Things You Might Not Know About Me

In years past, I have put together similar lists so some of these might be repeats. I haven't looked back to make sure I don't duplicate anything. But in honor of my beautiful age, 42, here are 42 things you might not know about me:


  1. I have never been a coffee drinker. I drink a Diet Dr. Pepper every morning.
  2. One of my favorite musical moments came when I sang the National Anthem in front of more than 60,000 people at a NASCAR race.
  3. My tolerance for anything I perceive as nonsense is really low.
  4. I respect others even if I am incapable of liking them.
  5. Although I don't like everyone I give my best effort to do so. I consider this my greatest weakness. By "this" I mean not liking everyone AND trying to like everyone. 
  6. Usually, after deciding I don't like someone or something, I have a change of heart. That's how I became friends with some of you and how I ended up driving a Jeep Liberty.
  7. I am physically stronger than I think I am and not nearly as strong emotionally as I claim.
  8. I am not the product of my birth nor of my environment. I am the sum of my parts.
  9. I love my life and I am proud of every part of it including the painful parts and the pieces I don't share with anyone.
  10. My deepest regrets are often words... The words I have said. The words I have not said. The words I never even thought to say until I could no longer say them. The words I have written on paper.
  11. The best interests of others are always top of mind for me. Then I consider myself. And I always consider the consequences. 
  12. In 2 weeks, I will graduate with my Masters in Communication Arts. As a kid, I was a lazy student so I never saw this coming. The road to get here was not smooth.
  13. More than anything, I would like the opportunity to be a mother again.
  14. I have three secrets that I hold dear. By the end of this year, I anticipate that I will have only one.
  15. The level of patience I have achieved is the result of a lifetime of waiting. I have learned to stop praying for patience.
  16. Confidence evaded me until I was in my 30s. Up until then, I was just faking it.
  17. I haven't picked up a paintbrush in two years but before that, I was an avid painter.
  18. I wish that a haircut could make you skinny and beautiful.
  19. By the time I was eight years old, I was already enrolled in Weight Watchers and on my first diet.
  20. I thought I knew everything by the time I was 28. Now I know that I have so much more to learn.
  21. I was a sports writer a long time ago. The first pro sport I covered was the Major Indoor Soccer League. I am glad that wasn't my final career choice & that you don't have to have just one career.
  22. I have curly hair. I straighten it every day because it's not pretty curly. It's weird, inconsistent, frizzy curly.
  23. My dog's barking makes me CRAZY. Mostly because I am worried it is disturbing the neighbors...
  24. I am an emotional eater.
  25. If I had more money, I would spend it on everyone else. I already do that but that's because I have what I need and I don't want the rest to go to waste.
  26. I know the difference between a want and a need. About 85% of the time, I act on my wants.
  27. My least favorite chore is taking out the trash.
  28. The year I turned 40, I volunteered once a month. That was the happiest year I think I've ever had and I don't think that's a coincidence.
  29. I hate that women who love athletes are called cleat chasers and men who love athletes are called fans.
  30. I also hate that my past relationships define me more than my accomplishments or my abilities.
  31. I say the F word. A lot. I am not proud of it. I have tried to stop. I am still trying. But I need a lot of work in a lot of areas so... it's on the list.
  32. One of my favorite nights out is Margarita Night with my friends. 
  33. Nothing makes me happier than the laughter or joy of others.
  34. I can't imagine anyone ever really loving me.
  35. I cry a lot. Every emotion I experience comes with tears of some kind.
  36. I want to be an accomplished author but I am hindered by the fear of hurting others in the process of telling my story.
  37. Morality has not always been my strong suit. I have made many decisions that others would question. I want to be a good person but I often fail miserably.
  38. Baking & ironing relax me. I make amazing bread. And if fry bread took talent, I would claim that as one of my bests too but... it's pretty easy.
  39. I remember names and I recognize faces. In my work and in my volunteer efforts that has been my job at times. I am not good with numbers.
  40. My taste in men is inconsistent. But it's usually eyes and smile that get my attention.
  41. I played ball competitively from the time I was 8 years old until I had an accident 14 years ago that caused me to lose the use of my left foot.
  42. I love making lists.

No comments: