Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Field of Dreams

Slowly, we made our way down a narrow gravelly road nestled between corn fields and corrals inhabited by smelly but beautiful cows. My 7 year old nephew was enthralled. So much different than home... The colors were so vibrant and rich. The smells? Well, they were... strong? The sound of the wind rustling through the corn fields was unfamiliar but calming.  My nephew and I agreed that we really liked Iowa.

Suddenly, the rustic beauty of the farm country was interrupted by... baseball! 

This year marks the 20th anniversary of the movie THE FIELD OF DREAMS starring Kevin Costner. The original set of the movie still sits in the middle of farm country in Dyersville, IA. It's become quite the tourist attraction over the years. 

The boy and I unloaded our baseball mitts from the back of the car, pulled on our sunglasses and hit the outfield for a little game 
of catch. Then, we headed into the edge of the corn field to get our pictures taken. 

"I'm melting!" he laughed, quoting the movie.

Later, we picked a spot on the bleachers to watch a family that was running the bases and taking a few swings at the plate. We ended our visit with an expensive visit to 
the gift shop where we bought gifts for everyone back home and my nephew collected the spoils of a child who had been accidentally nailed by a fly
ball that his aunt had thrown. (Yes, I hit him. ON
the Field of DREAMS. I know...)

What a great day that neither of us will ever forget! A dream come true of sorts, right in the middle of a field of corn...


No comments: