Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Snoring Downstairs

My apartment is a hole. I live there because it was ridiculously cheap when I moved in, it is in a very diverse area of the city (which I love) and the landlord's agreed to let me paint and decorate any way I wanted. But underneath all of my cute stuff, the place needs a lot of work.

My building is not insulated and the walls and floors are thin. The windows rattle horribly when the wind blows and the hardwood floors are peeling. It's a hole. But it is my hole... for now.

Through my thin floors, I have the pleasure of hearing the nightly chorus of my neighbors snoring in the apartment downstairs. Some nights they don't get really revved up until 1 or 2 AM. Other times, it's 3 or 4 AM before their nasal synchronization begins.

In just over three years, I have moved my bed 4 times, in an effort to escape this early morning entertainment and to reclaim my much-needed sleep. No such luck. The deep-throated gagging and coughing accompanied by the snorting, gasping, wheezing and other sounds apparently reaches every corner of my bedroom. There IS NO ESCAPING!

A prisoner in my own home... Tortured nightly by the snoring downstairs...

No comments: