Friday, August 12, 2005

One Good Reason to be Nike Loyal

Nike has a new series of print ads out that big girls should love. Naturally, this campaign is aimed at the athletically built woman. However, the athletically built woman is often depicted as slim and trim and slender. I suppose that is an accurated depiction if she is a willowy contortionist. But many athletes have muscle and curves... This new ad campaign is amazing. Look for one of the ads in your next women's magazine.

BUTT--
My butt is big

and round like the letter C
and ten thousand lunges have made it rounder
but not smaller
and that's just fine
It's a space heater for my side of the bed
It's my ambassador to those who walk behind me
It's a border collie that herds skinny women
away from the best deals
At clothing sales
My butt is big and that's just fine
And those who might scorn it
Are invited to kiss it.
Just do it.

Legs--
My legs

were once two hairy sticks
that weren't very good at jump rope
but by the time I reached the age of algebra
they had come into their own
and now in spin class
they are revered
envied for their strength
Honored for their beauty
hairless for the most part
except that place the razor misses
just behind the ankles
Just do it.

Thighs--
I have thunder thighs

and that's a compliment
because they are strong
and toned
and muscular
and though they are unwelcome
in the petite section
they are cheered on in marathons
fifty years from now I'll bounce a grandchild on my thunder thighs
and then I'll go out for a run
Just do it.

No comments: